Laid Off

Well, the unthinkable (and some might say – inevitable) happened today: my company announced it is closing its doors January 4th, and I was laid off. Since I’m the Internet Marketing Manager, there really isn’t a big need for my position as they close up shop. Rob and my sister (yes, we all worked there!) will remain there until the end, helping them liquidate all of their supplies.

I’m remarkably okay with the events of the day. Sure, there is an underlying feeling of fear, but I’m concentrating on not focusing on that. I’ve got a lot of irons in the fire and I’m confident that I will land on my feet. Perhaps something even better will come along! I’ve got an impressive skill set and resume thanks to the last 8 years at this company, and any new company will be lucky to have me.

Some of the positives right now are that I’ll be able to be home with the kids on their holiday break, I’ll get to finally go visit my friend and her triplets that were born in September that I haven’t had a chance to see yet, I’ll be able to get to daytime meetings, I’ll be able to get some much-needed exercise and meditation time in, I’ll be able to decorate and wrap for Christmas without stressing over the lack of time to get it all done. I’m going to enjoy these last few weeks of December in the hopes that I’ll look back on this experience with fondness.

All that doesn’t mean I’m not filled with an overwhelming sadness, though. I am so sad. So sad. I loved my job. I loved my boss. I loved what I did. I loved my office. I loved the people I worked with every day. I loved the short commute. I loved the flexibility I was afforded. I loved all of it. Sure, there were rough days and there was a pervading sickness in the company’s high-level management, but I was able to get past all that because of my love for the day-to-day things. I will miss that job. Hopefully when I’ve moved on to my next career choice, though, I will realize that I should have left long ago and I won’t hardly miss it at all.

I’m remaining positive – for today, at least. There might very well be an entry here tomorrow where I’m freaking out. I’m told my emotions are going to be all over the map for the foreseeable future. I guess that’s your fair warning!

16 Responses to “Laid Off”

1. Jules says:

It’s great to see you staying positive about the situation. I bet you will have a great time over the holiday break with the boys!

2. Drew says:

I am confident that you will land firmly on your feet. It sucks that you were laid off but you will come out okay. Relax through the holidays and keep those spirits up. Things will work out.

3. Lisa says:

I am a firm believer in everything happens for a reason. Maybe this is your sign that you are suppose to move?

4. Donna says:

I was wondering how your sister and Rob made out, but figured you’d blog about it sooner or later.

Thoughts go out to all of you!

5. Colleen J says:

you have a great resume’ now and alot of experience under your belt, you will have no problem finding another job,an even better one. Eveything happens for a reason. Enjoy you holidays with Connor and Aric. Everything will work out the way it is supposed too.

6. geeky says:

I’m glad you’re staying positive in the face of this bad news! I’m sorry you lost a job you loved, but like you said, any other company will be lucky to have you. Hang in there! I believe things have a way of working out for the better in the end.

7. Wi says:

When you feel comfortable in company as you’ve been, you tend to stick around instead of moving on to more challenging and rewarding jobs. I think when you said
    “I will realize that I should have left long ago and I won’t hardly miss it at all.” you were spot on. Something better will come along soon, so enjoy the extra time you have now.

8. Lynne says:

Sorry to hear that news, but you’re right, you have a great resume and I’m sure a highly needed job in today’s internet market. I’m sure it won’t take you long to find something once you start looking. Enjoy the holidays while you have the time off.

9. Tracy E. says:

Sorry to hear you were laid off Amy. Praying that some bigger and better is just around the corner. I too believe that it was time to move on and this is how it needed to happen since you had been there too long. You will be a great asset to the next company! Enjoy the time with your family this Christmas!

10. Christie says:

I am positive that you all will be just fine…. Enjoy your “me” time and make som grand memories with your family….that it what this time of year is for!!

Thanks so much for the gift sbscription renewal… SO APPRECIATED!! :)

(((HUGS)))

11. dawn says:

I completely understand the “pervading sickness in the company’s high-level management” – the company I work for is in the process of being bought out. I can only hope the new management will be an improvement over the current management. Best wishes and enjoy your time off. I’m sure you all will be fine.

12. Deb says:

Your attitude on this entire thing amazes me. You show continued strength even in the face of adversary and I admire that in you.

13. Beth says:

Amy,
    I looked at the job postings at my new company. This may be a fit for you:
    I just started here as a Technical support specialist and I love the corporate culture.

14. Mr. Fabulous says:

I am confident that tremendous new opportunities will come your way. I think this is a good thing!

15. Video of Songs says:

I like your positive attitude. I know about company policies as I am working in private company. Keep it up man.

16. Andrew says:

Its to hear that your staying positive. But im sure they will give you a good referrence, which will get you a better job. So the future is always bright. Be happy.