Can I Catch a Break?

I’m sitting here in the hotel room looking out the window as the rain pours down over the beach. It’s hard not to think about this entire year thus far and reflect on how we’ve seemingly drawn the short stick. From Rob & I losing our jobs at the same time, 6+ months of unemployment for Rob, Rob’s health issues, finding a lump in my breast, getting into an accident the day before vacation, and now abysmal weather to end the week – it feels like we’ve just been shit on time after time. Not only is the weather crappy, but my dad’s cousin’s wife died two days ago. I wasn’t close to this cousin, but my parents were at one time. My parents were here with us on vacation, but left this morning to drive 5 hours across the state to attend the viewing and funeral. The minute they walked out the door, I retreated to my room and cried my eyes out.

I’m trying hard to remember to be grateful. After all, we’ve still been okay financially and despite recent circumstances, our health has been good. We haven’t lost anyone too close to us. We all still have each other and our love. But right now, in this minute, the self-pity is definitely taking over. I thought we “deserved” this vacation after the year we’ve had and it’s turned out to be a big disappointment. The kids and Rob have had a better time because they weren’t relegated to the room/beach with a neck support on while we had terrific weather.

Well, I’m going to try to make the most of the day here. I think we’ll head to the mall. Rob just did laundry and put colors in with whites and turned my white capri pants pink (awesome!), so maybe I’ll get a new pair. I also need a pedicure, so perhaps I can treat myself later today. I just hope they don’t cut off my toe or something. Oh wait, I’m supposed to be thinking positive. Apparently I still need some work on that.

8 Responses to “Can I Catch a Break?”

1. Elisabeth says:

Oh, Amy, I am so sorry things are hard right now. It may not seem true now, but this too shall pass.
    xox

2. Kim says:

Everyone needs pink capris! And yours were custom made!

Hang in there, darling!

3. Cindy says:

Amy, I struggle with this a lot. I’m sorry you’re feeling this way, but I wanted you to know I definitely understand.

I know it gets hard, but truly, finding and being grateful is what really helps. Count your blessings. They are still many.

4. geeky says:

You poor thing! That is a lot to deal with in one year, and the not-so-great vacation certainly doesn’t help. I like to allow a short period of time to feel sorry for myself, then try to pick up and move on. Things are bound to get better!

5. Jules says:

Things will get better! They always do, right?

6. Donna says:

Oh man..I hope once you guys get back, that everything starts falling into place better for you and making you happy again.

7. Oh wow, you really have had a bad spell to say the least.I just stumbled upon your blog and my heart goes out to you I know it is really hard to feel grateful under such circumstances, yet I think perhaps that is when it is most important. Hang in there and I send you good vibes, peace and magic your way! A big cyber hug too!

8. [...] vacation ended on a much better note than the one I last left. After that post, the music came to town. Thursday night was Southside Johnny & The Asbury [...]