Facebook & A Short Update

My blogging time has been drastically reduced because I seem to spend all of my fun online time hanging out on Facebook these days. Man, I love that site. I’ve reconnected with quite a few people from my past – going all the way back to elementary school. This week my best friend from high school signed up, so I’m fairly certain I’ll be there more than ever now.

In other news… I’m off from work until January 5th! That’s 16 full days off in a row. I’m really excited to have a block of time to just relax and take it easy and do all the things I would do if I were a lady who lunches. Unfortunately, I’m only off because my company imposed a forced furlough for all of that time. There’s been a rash of good news/bad news the past few weeks regarding mine and Rob’s work. Witness:

Good news:
Rob got a promotion and a huge (huge!) raise

Bad news:
My company announced a forced furlough due to the downturn in business & softening economy

Good news:
I have enough vacation days to get paid for all of my time off during the furlough

Bad news:
All employees at my company are getting a temporary (3-month) pay cut effective January 12th. The amount of the cut was based on salary and the ranges were 5-15%. I fell right in the middle there.

Good news:
I still have a job and Rob’s raise makes up for what I lost.

All in all, I’m grateful for where we are standing at the end of 2008 especially relative to where we were at the end of 2007 – both of us laid off due to our company going bankrupt and closing. I am seeing a lot of heartbreaking stories concerning people losing jobs and not having money and I know we’re among the fortunate for today. I’ll take our lot and count my blessings.

Are you all ready for the holidays?? I have a few small items to get and then need to finish up wrapping. All in all, I’m in good shape and really looking forward to the big day. Merry Christmas to those who celebrate if I don’t get back here before then!

9 Responses to “Facebook & A Short Update”

1. Y says:

I just reconnected with my favorite boy from 6th grade through facebook and my husband found two of his closest childhood friends. I am now officially in love with facebook.

2. Steve says:

I find people through LinkedIn. I wonder if this is generational? Probably not…

Should I do a facebook page? I think it would really *$%^ off my daughter…reason enough!

3. Mike King says:

I just hope that anyone who does find people on facebook, does more than stalk them on facebook. Pick up the phone, call them for a few minutes and have a real conversation instead of sitting behind a bunch of silly wasteful comments and gadgets from people you really don’t know. Don’t get me wrong, facebook is a great way to find a lot of people, just not useful to build relationship on its own in any way. You have to actually talk for that to happen.

4. Amy says:

Y – Facebook is the best, isn’t it? I never even knew I missed some of these people until I reconnected with them!

5. Amy says:

Steve – my mom & dad are on Facebook, so……. :-) If you sign up, look me up!

6. Amy says:

Mike – Facebook stalking! Ack! I’ve had no less than 5 get togethers with old friends from getting reacquainted with them on Facebook and have a few more outings lined up over the holidays. Thanks for stopping by.

7. Mike King says:

Amy, I think you are rare then on facebook. I know so many people who tell me all these things about facebook and I always ask them if they’ve ever actually talked to or met any of those ‘old’ or ‘new’ connections. Usually the answer is no.

Glad you have made something real of it!!!

8. TheNooge says:

Here’s the thing about facebook…if you have a mom or Dad on it, the site is dead to you.

Trust me. I mean how do you reject their friend request?! It asks, “Do you know this person”…I wish I could say…nope.

9. William says:

Wow, that is a lot of ups and downs with the good news and bad news. Glad you have a positive outlook on it all.

Be careful on Facebook. It can consume your life!